It was a disturbing pattern. It seemed every time your children stayed with their other parent, something went wrong. And there was always some type of excuse or reason for the bruises on your children’s arms, their ragged clothing, the times they were left to fend for themselves without adult supervision and the hunger pangs they had whenever they returned to your home.
These all are signs of abuse and neglect. You know that your priority is to love and protect your children, so you decide that it is time to seek sole custody of your children. You prepare for a child custody battle and expect to win. Your children deserve to lead a more normal life; one that they will get with you rather than their other parent. Their lives depend on it.
Protecting your children is a priority
You cannot undo the damage that already occurred to your children if they are victims of abuse and neglect. However, by taking the rights steps in seeking sole custody, working with therapists and educators and getting them acclimated to a consistent and loving environment, you are taking the right initial steps.
If you suspect that your child is the victim of abuse or neglect, take steps now. Here are some of the more common signs of child abuse and neglect:
- Physical and emotional abuse such as beatings and promoting fear in them
- Sexual abuse of any kind
- Failing to provide adequate food, clothing and shelter
- Failing to provide medical and mental health care
- Abandoning a child by leaving him or her alone to care for themselves
- Failing to promote child’s educational needs by keeping them away from school
- Abusing substances such as alcohol or drugs that hinder a parent’s ability to care for children
- Leaving children in the care of incompetent people unable to protect them
Your children mean the world to you. You want to make sure that they get on to a life path that provides a sense of normalcy. However, as victims of abuse or neglect, the children may gradually think that being in this situation is normal and that all parents treat their kids in such atrocious ways. This, as you know, is far from the truth.